Forms of hosting services
A hosting service is connected with keeping and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server managed by a web hosting distributor. There are various categories of hosting services used for different aims, so let's study them. Doing so, you can pick what you want, on the basis of whether you wish to have a web page, e-mail address accounts, or to share files with buddies and associates.
- File hosting: a service distributed by various file storage providers, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage packages are frequently supported by showing adverts next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a certain span of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely erroneous interpretation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would allot the tasks at hand between individual packs of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different webspace hosting services (mail, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a variety of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain distributors offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting variant is appropriate if you wish to share a large amount of images with comrades or acquaintances since the solution is generally free. You will get a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your mail accounts. Some companies offer web page hosting services for websites, but do not offer an email hosting service. If you would like to possess an email address with your domain name but do not wish to have a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can create e-mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have a problem with your website hosting resources. Embedding the video will allow you to own as many video files as you want to without worrying about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to have a website. To a certain degree, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and email accounts, upload video clips, etc. At Lonex, for example, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that allow you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one single location. There may be limitations based on the kind of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting package may be better or worse compared with the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are devised for specific web content exclusively.